Civilians detained after gunfight in India, claims Amnesty

Written by By Motti Lerner, CNN The Indian Express has documented details of the massacre of 14 civilians in northeastern India. ( Read more ) Civilians in India’s northeast have expressed anger after anti-Maoist…

Civilians detained after gunfight in India, claims Amnesty

Written by By Motti Lerner, CNN

The Indian Express has documented details of the massacre of 14 civilians in northeastern India. ( Read more )

Civilians in India’s northeast have expressed anger after anti-Maoist forces allegedly killed 14 people in a remote village.

The Indian government has said it is investigating allegations of human rights violations, while Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has reached out to protest the deaths.

During the clashes on November 7 in the Nagaon district of Assam, authorities said a special group called the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) was carrying out operations, along with an “armed group of militants.”

According to an account from Amnesty International , the NDFB was allegedly armed with weapons and uniforms that belonged to soldiers.

Nagma, a villager, showed details of bullet casings found in his house and reiterated accounts of 14 bodies in the nearby village of Dima Halum on Saturday.

A room at the house where she was hiding from the fighting

“The NDFB have become more active and we are afraid that the killings will continue till we are eliminated,” the 67-year-old Nagma told the news outlet.

“I’ve seen dozens of Bodo men slaughtered (before). This time, they killed all of our women and children. All 13 were killed in one day.”

Last month, nine people were killed and 21 injured when a mine exploded in Assam.

A government press release read, “I hope those responsible for this (killed civilians) action are brought to justice, and I extend my condolences to the families of those killed in this act of violence,” Modi told a press conference in the state.

In a video address released to social media on Sunday, the Prime Minister called for restraint among those taking part in the conflict.

“When there are accusations made, we have to verify and verify. We should not do anything that will hamper the peace process, except action, if any, against anybody who have done something wrong,” Modi said.

“I want to assure people of the northeast that the government is doing everything to ensure that the peace process goes on. We’re all together and we’ll strengthen the process.”

The government has assured all sides that it will seek an investigation, and police have stepped up patrolling along the tense border with Bangladesh.

Sindhu Saroj contributed to this report.

Leave a Comment